The Gilbert Albert Community Center was established in 2005. From the start, our mission has been to support immigrants in the Greater Boston area to nurture a healthy, vibrant, inclusive and flourishing community. Our services increase cultural awareness and facilitate acculturation and integration of local Haitian, Latin American, and West African communities. We provide access to social services, instruction in native language literacy and ESL, basic computer training, and programs or workshops which promote healthy lifestyles.
The Gilbert Albert Community Center continuously seeks to improve the depth and breadth of our programming in order to best serve members of local immigrant communities in Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury and beyond. Our goals include:
- Providing more ESL classes to eliminate current waiting lists and ensure that all students seeking an education through GACC can be enrolled
- Increasing language learning opportunity by providing higher level ESL classes for students who graduate from our current class levels and wish to continue their ESL education
- Providing job skills training, including job hunting, resume building, computer skills training, and training on workers' rights and workplace etiquette
- Running educational programs on health issues that affect local immigrants, including nutrition, exercise, HIV/AIDS prevention, relationships, and other issues as they are identified by our students and staff
- Institutionalizing programs and partnerships with neighboring community organizations to increase our students' access to needed resources and social services.